68 FR 191 pgs. 56847-56848 - Agency Information Collection Activities: Extension of Existing Collection; Comment Request
Type: NOTICEVolume: 68Number: 191Pages: 56847 - 56848
FR document: [FR Doc. 03-24942 Filed 10-1-03; 8:45 am]
Agency: Homeland Security Department
Sub Agency: Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
Official PDF Version: PDF Version
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
Agency Information Collection Activities: Extension of Existing Collection; Comment Request
60-Day notice of information collection under review; The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS); OMB-30.
The Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Commenters are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until December 1, 2003.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of and existing information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: No Agency Form Number (File No. 0MB-30). Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. This system is used by institutions and sponsors to provide notification, reports, updates and data required by regulations and the institutions and programs, as well as on student and exchange visitors. Additionally, the BCIS and the Department of State will use SEVIS to adjudicate benefits and services, track student and exchange visitor data, and to monitor institution and program sponsor compliance with current regulations.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 625,135 applicant and 5 responses at 20 minutes (.333 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 1,040,850 annual burden hours:
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a coy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, 425 I Street, NW., Room 4034, Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Theresa O'Malley, Chief Information Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Regional Office Building 3, 7th and D Streets, SW., Suite 4636-26, Washington, DC 20202.
Dated: September 26, 2003.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
[FR Doc. 03-24942 Filed 10-1-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M