65 FR 41 pg. 11084 - Agency Information Collection Activities: Comment Request
Type: NOTICEVolume: 65Number: 41Page: 11084
FR document: [FR Doc. 00-4936 Filed 2-29-00; 8:45 am]
Agency: Justice Department
Sub Agency: Immigration and Naturalization Service
Official PDF Version: PDF Version
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Agency Information Collection Activities: Comment Request
Notice of information collection under review; Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for "sixty days" until May 1, 2000.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of previously approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application to Extend/change Nonimmigrnat Status.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-539. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. This form is used by a nonimmigrant to apply for an extension of stay or change of nonimmigrant status. The INS will use the data on this to determine eligibility for the requested immigration benefit.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 256,210 responses at 45 minutes (.75) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 192,158 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 5307, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 850, Washington Center, 1001 G Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: February 23, 2000.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 00-4936 Filed 2-29-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M